A spot to play all sorts of forum games
By ˟
` B̷̵̷e̵̴̵h̛̕i̛҉̀͢͟n͠͏̧̢̀d̸́͘͠͝ ̵̧̨̢y̡͏̵̵ó̷̡͢͝ư̷̶̕͠.̷̴̨̡.͏̡

"Lost" by Bangtan Boys.
I'm so in long with this song. :kissing_cat:

ヽ(゜Q。)ノ? 무서운거 재미있지..?

Cosmic Owl wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:58 pm
Currently listening to "Zombie," by the Cranberries :))
I love that song. Its so sad. Its about "The Troubles" in Ireland and Northern Ireland. I'm from Ireland and its personally effected my family negatively. Luckily, its getting a bit better over there.

Right now, not music but I'm eavesdropping on students in my classroom. Its the last day before vacation so we are havingna catch up day. You hear some interesting things if you listen to them.

☾¤¸¸.•´¯`•.¸*.:。 ★*゚

@Shamrock Shamus
Oh no way! :O I had a hunch it was about war and crisis, but I didn't know it was about Ireland! I'm in the US so I guess I wouldn't hear much about it haha
I'm glad to hear that it's getting better though. Is it describing war/hardships in Ireland?...

【 =◈︿◈=】

@Cosmic Owl The Cranberries are from County Limerick, Ireland. The song Zombie was their way to protest the violence that was happening in a very frightening amount in Northern Ireland. There is one line in particular that would clue me in on the focus being The Troubles if I didnt already know: "It's the same old theme since nineteen-sixteen". On Easter Monday in 1916 a group of rebels did what became known as the Easter Rising. It was an insurrection against the English occupation of Ireland. England took control of Ireland almost 800 years prior to 1916 and had the country in a choke hold. They sold Irish men, women and children as slaves to the colonists in America. Yes, the very first slaves of America werent from Africa but from Ireland. Many years later they tried to assimilate us to English norms by making everything in Irish culture and tradition illegal. This is where the candle in the window at christmas time stems from. Catholicism was "too Irish". The English wanted us protestant. They made Catholicism illegal. On Christmas, Catholics who were holding a secret Mass in their house would put a single candle in the window. It was a signal for other catholics to know that there was to be a Mass and that it was safe to come pray there if they wanted. The English never caught on. This all led to whats known as The Battle of The Boyne.
These are just a few reasons why the rebels hated the crown and fueled their desire to make us free. The Easter Rising took place in several places in Dublin's city center with the HQ being the GPO ( General Post Office ). In fact, there are still bullet holes in the front of the GPO that you can go see. The battle lasted 6 days and 6 nights. The rebels surrendered because too many innocent civilians were getting killed and the city was in ruins. The leaders of the rising were executed, which made tension in Ireland rise. One execution caused public outcry in not just the Irish but a lot of British people as well. This was because of the nature the execution was carried out in. It was done on a man named James Connolly who was so badly injured during the battle that they had to tie him to a chair to be shot.
This insurrection galvanized the Irish people and soon war broke out to try to win freedom. My great grandfather Seamus was in the IRA (Irish Republican Army) during the war and fought for freedom. Unfortunately he was carrying out a mission against the British when he found himself surrounded. His rifle jammed and he tried to escape by hitting people in the head with the butt of the rifle. He was captured anyway and executed via firing squad. He was 20 and left behind a wife, a 1 year old (my great aunt) and a newborn (my grandfather).
There was one point were relatives of my great grandfather were left homeless because the British purposely set fire to the entire city center of Cork City and proceeded to shoot down the firefighters who were desperately trying to put the out the flames.
Only southern Ireland become independent once Britian agreed to let Irish officials vote whether to stay part of UK or break off. The 6 northern counties Antrim, Londonderry, Tyrone, Down, Armagh and Fermanagh all voted to remain a part of the UK. Since then, Northen Ireland has been battling whas known as "The Troubles" which is the focus of "Zombie". The Troubles are years of violence and battles between the Unionists/Loyalists who consider themselves British and want Northen Ireland to remain a part of UK and the Nationalists/Republicans who were pushing for the 6 counties to break free from UK and be "reunited" with the 26 Free counties of The Republic of Ireland. A lot riots and massacres happened. The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2 is about a massacre that happened due to the troubles. On a Sunday there was a protest run by the Rupublicans for a free Northern Ireland when British Troops open fired on them and even drove military vehicles straight into the crowd to try and take some people out. These types of things were almost a daily occurance there. Thus, The Cranberries wrote Zombie in a way to protest and plea for peace.

@Valefor right??? when he started singing i was[…]

@Valefor hmm from BTS i don't really know what […]

Help us keep Roliana alive and running!