roliana

Serious and in-depth debates and discussions

Worst Pain Ever

I survived and I thankfully on the mend now... but wow. What a weekend.

So... Thursday night went to bed feeling a bit nauseated but not really enough to be bothered with taking anything, as I figured something I ate didn't sit well with me. Should be fine sleeping it off.

2 AM Friday morning, I figured I had a stomach bug. Running slight fever and figure it's start of flue. Oh joy... but not too bad. Took Pepto Bismal several times and by Friday morning I has been sick to my stomach several times. Not hungry at all but needed to keep hydrated so kept up drinking water like crazy in order to sleep off the sickness.

Late Friday night... high fever kicked in. I was shaking in pain and chills, curled in a ball barely able to move. I called my mom and mentioned going to the doctor in the morning. Still thinking it's flue and should get a prescription to treat it.

About 5 am Saturday I woke up feeling like I had been shot in the side, I couldn't move from pain and was in tears trying to get up. I couldn't even stand on my own and was thankfully able to finally get ahold of my mom to help about 10. We made it to the ER and within an hour they had figured out my appendix has ruptured and said I was lucky I made it in time to get it out before it had started turning septic.

I have NEVER experienced such an intense, burning, stabbing pain. Worst experience ever.

Lol

Now... I am just bored and so hungry for real food. I have basically been on a diet of water and jello with weak broth since I woke up from surgery on Saturday evening after surgery.

I am hoping I will at least be allowed soft foods tomorrow and will be allowed to order oatmeal and mashed potatoes if they change my diet. XD

SO.. what was your worst pain and experience with recovery?

Re: Worst Pain Ever

⇜⚶⚶⚎⚎☸✺☸✺☸✺☸✺☸☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☵⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⚎⚎⚶⚶↬

First off: wow That must've been quite a scare...
Second: loved how you're describing the worst experience ever and then follow with a "lol" XD

I'm so glad you got to the ER in time. But it sure escalated quickly x_X I never knew an appendix could go -that- fast.

It sucks to have that diet going right now. Totally get that feeling. My worst pain had to do with stones in my galblatter. This went undiagnosed for over 4 years and I felt miserable each time.
It turns out these stones were moving through my entire system, blocking the necessary tubes to make all my organs function. So I could literally feel my gal blatter, my pancreas cry out in pain each time. Ofcourse I didn't know this and had to rely on the expertise of my doctor. Who thought I was just being a baby crying over a little bit of stomach ache (like indigestion or something)
while I was in real serious pain. Usually the pains would stop after an hour or 2-3 (To give the pain a number from 1 to 10, 10 being labor pains, I seriously believe this was a 9. And until I've given birth to a kid, that won't change XD Atleast when you're having a kid, they give you pain relieve, which I didn't got at those times).
But the most serious pains were the evening before I went to the ER. It started Sunday at lunch time 12 o clock on the dot. I had eaten and it began. I was crawling over the floor in pain, by then so used to these pains, that I was simply expecting it to be over in 2 or 3 hours. 3 pm came and went and the pain hadn't subsided. The entire night I was in pain. I fell asleep on the floor even, because I was so tired from all the pain but only for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Basically passing out I guess. By 8am monday we called the doctor and I was sent to the ER. So I was in pain for about 20 hours, throwing up etc.

I was diagnosed with gal blatter stones and they had closed off my pancreas. I was subsequently starved for 4 days. I learned that I was only going to get food if I stopped taking pain relieve medicines. So on the 4th day (you need to think all the food from sunday had come out on sunday, so I hadn't eaten since Sunday) I stopped taking my pain relieve medicine. I was in agony but I pretended to be fine. I -finally- got some yoghurt. It was horrible. But finally my pain subsided. It was my stomach that was just begging for food and since everything was still sore inside of me, it hurt every single time my stomach 'growled' (as they say in my country).

I got operated on 2 months later I believe. Because my insides were too triggered before. (So it isn't as urgent as a ruptured appendix) but that entire year was hell from the moment I got my diagnosis. I had to eat unflavored potatoes and unflavored chicken. Chicken without any herbs tastes HORRIBLE! I had to eat stale bread and stuff like that. It was horrible.
The first time, like a year after, when I had my first french fry, I actually cried because it tasted so good. That's when that diet flew out of the window. (Also, theoretically I should've lost weight due to that diet. The only weight I lost was muscle and no fat. Ofcourse when I stopped that diet cause it's one of those: you're better of dead-diets, I gained alot of weight =/ )

↫⚶⚶⚎⚎⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☸✺☸✺☸✺☸✺☸⚎⚎⚶⚶⇝

Well... pain meds are pretty darn strong, so I have been feeling pretty good as of late. They finally changed my diet today so I have been able to eat a bit more even if my appetite is still pretty non-existent

WOW... I think I would have been trying to find another doctor at that point. What the hell people like that are doing in the medical industry, in it more so for the money rather than to truly help patients piss me off so much. It's really sad when doctors would rather just give you something to mask the pain for a short while rather than actually trying to diagnose the root of the problem in order to milk the system for more and more money are just disgusting. Is it no wonder there is now such a high rate of addiction to medications in America anymore if problems would rather be masked so insurance doesn't have to pay out for major medical problems when they can say you will be fine with some cheap pain meds to cover up the issue and hope it goes away instead?

Well... pain meds are pretty darn strong, so I have been feeling pretty good as of late. They finally changed my diet today so I have been able to eat a bit more even if my appetite is still pretty non-existent.

I didn't know either, but this was what I got from Google on appendicitis:

"Once the appendicitis symptoms appear, it can take as little as 24 to 72 hours for the infected appendix to rupture. If the appendix ruptures, the infection can spread to other areas of the abdomen, increasing the risk of serious complications and making treatment more difficult."

It was probably about 30 something hours, and that's not counting the time the infection started on Thursday night before I finally started feeling nauseated, thinking it was just a stomach bug at that point.

I don't think I would have felt it immediately, but once the infection hit hard I started feeling ill. So, no telling how long it was from start of infection before I went to bed Thursday night until 5 AM Saturday when it felt like I had been shot for that time frame would actually seem to fit well.

And seeing as I didn't feel too well, I think I crashed pretty early that night. That would have been a good 36 hours by the time I KNEW it wasn't a flue or stomach bug and it was another 5 hours after that I was able to get a ride to the hospital. So yeah... once the organ ruptures it can easily spread the infection throughout the body which thankfully hadn't started too bad for me.

WOW... I think I would have been trying to find another doctor at that point. What the hell people like that are doing in the medical industry, in it more so for the money rather than to truly help patients piss me off so much. It's really sad when doctors would rather just give you something to mask the pain for a short while rather than actually trying to diagnose the root of the problem in order to milk the system for more and more money are just disgusting. Is it no wonder there is now such a high rate of addiction to medications in America anymore if problems would rather be masked so insurance doesn't have to pay out for major medical problems when they can say you will be fine with some cheap pain meds to cover up the issue and hope it goes away instead?

I am actually going to be put on a health diet for quite some time after this, but at the moment I really don't mind. Losing some weight will be a good side effect from all of this as well.

⇜⚶⚶⚎⚎☸✺☸✺☸✺☸✺☸☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☵⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⚎⚎⚶⚶↬

Yeah I know that the time to react to appendicitis is very short, but I've never had the symptoms happen to anyone I knew, y'know? That's what I meant before. Now I know how appendicitis works and I can be more self-concious about it too. Because I'm like you: thinking it's a stomach bug or the flue and then waiting a very long time before going to the doctor. I hate going to the doctor actually. I go there twice a year and that's only to renew my medication (birthcontrol + bloodpressure meds) and that's it. Would prefer it if it's only once a year or less, but oh well. No chance for that. They don't like to give too much in advance on both meds. Only once did I go to the doctor beside that because I had a very hard pain in my back that was so painful I couldn't even breath properly. I was taking pain medicine (that also has an effect on lowering fever and infections etc) and I wanted to know if I needed something else. Apparently I had an infection on a muscle and I was indeed doing the right thing. He prescribed something else in addition to my pain medicine. But now I knew I wasn't wrongfully using my pain meds. (I hardly ever take pain meds and now I was taking 4 tablets a day, mom got worried xp)

Anyways, atleast you caught it in time! So happy for that! And here is the good thing: it will NEVER happen again! WOOHOO! Happy dance!

Yeah being put on a health diet that end up for you to lose weight is a nice side effect from all of this. (assuming you need the weight loss :wink: Because to me all curves are nice :wink: -needs to think that to not feel too selfconcious about myself-) At least if the health diet is manageable ofcourse.

--
and to refer back to my own gal blatter fiasco: I did change doctors after that debacle. Did you know that when my mom called on Monday to tell the doctor I've been in constant pain since sunday midday, the doctor asked if I could come to his practice?! (ofcourse you didn't know :P )
Even though he knew that my dad was the only one with a drivers licence and we had to come by bicycle. (Needing to go to the next town too!) Again he was assuming I was having indigestion or just having pain due to my period or something and that I was just exagerating to get attention.
So I changed doctors and they sure know what I'm truly like: I need to be on the verge of death before I go to the doctor. 1 doctor actually joked about it. When that muscle infection happened (that I mentioned earlier) that doctor was like: 'oh you are here? You only come for prescription meds, what's wrong?' with quite a worry at the end of his sentence. I described my symptoms and he hardly had to examine me or he knew what I had. (I'm really good at describing my symptoms, because I will tell EVERYTHING. Leaving nothing out. Cause every detail matters). He went with his finger down my spine to see where I was having my pains, I said stop and to the right and voila, the end of the exam haha. So sad that he no longer works at that practice and moved to Antwerp. He was an amazing doctor. But to go to Antwerp (which is like 1 hour away on train) to visit the doctor is a bit too much, y'know XD

↫⚶⚶⚎⚎⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝⛤⚝☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☵☸✺☸✺☸✺☸✺☸⚎⚎⚶⚶⇝

Neil blinked as Izy uttered, "So he basically brok[…]

Two main reasons I've never played Minecraft: Mone[…]

@ Tues: Sounds a bit like my mom. It wasn't that s[…]

Don't need it! I'll help you bump! :grinning:

Help us keep Roliana alive and running!