Serious and in-depth debates and discussions

Re: Being gay in Korea

That's absolutely horrifying. Setting up FAKE PROFILES so that we can weed out the gays from our Military? Some of them there wasn't even any proof that they had ever had intercourse with anyone... wow.

I really hope that the investigation leads to him being seen as an unfit leader. Because yeah, it's not illegal, but we're going to arrest you for it because you were forced to join the military and we can't have you being gay now.

I hope that the victims who have been arrested unjustly are highly compensated over this discrimination.

Maybe what they mean is that it's okay to be gay as long as you never do anything gay? Well, at least until after you've finished mandatory military service. I looked up the punishment for it and it says it's either institutionalisation in a psychiatric ward or dishonourable discharge. :unamused:

That's not much different from the United States. At least Don't Ask Don't Tell has been repealed. We haven't had an active draft since the 1960s and 70s, but it was still illegal to be openly gay in the army until just a few years ago, and if they caught you, they'd kick you out and not even give you an honorable discharge. Yeah, it's stupid. But in Korea guys do all kinds of stuff to get out of the military. I studied this in college for a paper I wrote. Korean men have been documented staring into candles to intentionally ruin their eyesight so they can't serve. They get tattoos because those are also not allowed. They've broken bones and fled their country to get out of serving. I mean, the military sucks but just do your 2 years and get it over with! I did my time and I'll suffer from stress fractures and arthritis for the rest of my life, but at least I have my eyesight!

That's super awesome! Glad you had lots of fun! B[…]

I don't smoke because my job randoms and I care mo[…]

Hi there! I'm good as well! Welcome back to Roli! […]

I try that but it doesn't work very well because I[…]

Help us keep Roliana alive and running!