roliana
All about video gaming, computers, and gadgets

Favorite Video Game Series

I've been curious recently about what kinds of games everyone likes to play here, so what is your favorite video game series? What do you love about it? Feel free to list multiple ones; I know I have a lot.

For a few years now my favorite series overall is Etrian Odyssey. I didn't get into the series until I played the demo for Etrian Odyssey IV and I was quickly hooked. I love how intense battles can get, the soundtrack, and exploring the labyrinths.

Other favorites series for me:
The Legend of Zelda - I'm a big fan of exploring in the games, the dungeons, and the soundtrack. Fighting is really fun in the 3D games.
Animal Crossing - I love how relaxing the game is. Building up your town and home always feel rewarding.
Mother/Earthbound - I've played through all three games, and I love the weird but heartwarming RPG series that it is. The first game is the only NES game I've ever beaten. xD
Mario Kart - I'm not really big on Mario Kart 8 because of how bikes got reworked, but racing is really fun.
Persona - I've still not very deep into the series, but from what I've played, I really enjoy the gameplay, story, and the soundtracks. I like how your character starts out as an outsider, but ends up with a close circle of friends by the end of the games.
Ace Attorney - I love the characters in this game, along with the story.
Xenoblade Chronicles - The first game is probably one of my favorite games ever. The soundtrack is stellar, the gameplay is solid, and the world feels so real. The second game was really fun to play, with some of the soundtrack being awesome, but just as the story got really interesting the game ended. The third game is really good; it probably has the most balanced battle system, though sometimes it feels a bit too easy. I'm not a fan of RNG for awakening core crystals.

I think that's most of them for now.

Re: Favorite Video Game Series

So many games I love it's hard to choose.

I will always have a special place in my heart for Kingdom hearts though.

Kingdomhearts 1, 2, C.O.M, 356/2 days, coded, dream drop, birth by sleep, even the mobile phone app...though the app I only play now to get the story for the upcoming Kingom hearts 3.

Final fantasy is always a classic. I like the older ones though, to me it goes wrong after 11.
6 is my absolute favorite, 7 is awesome too. 8, 9, 10 are good and 11 was epic for online and I miss that one terribly.

Mario was always good, Mario RPG was my favorite. The one where you have to save peach from the giant sword that rammed itself through bowsers castle.

Zelda ocerina of time is my favorite in the zelda series.

That's all I remember right now...
OH

Sonic of course

Image Yay, finally a response! xD

I was kinda thinking about including Kingdom Hearts for my favorites, but we've been waiting so dang long for KH3. D: But every time I tell myself I'm done with the series, as soon as I hear about new info for KH3, I want to get it. xD I still haven't played all of the games in the series, though the only one I will definitely play eventually is Birth by Sleep (the other ones I haven't played would be Coded and the mobile game and I guess 1.5/2.5/2.8 if you count those).

The only Final Fantasy games I've played are the SNES ones. I bought VII and VIII for my Vita, but I've only played a tiny bit of VII. Both of them are on my backlog of games I want to play. I don't think I'm ever going to play the NES ones, and I'm not sure I would want to play anything beyond X. Oh, I guess I have played the beginning of FFX, but I haven't played it since I was in middle school (I think???).

Dude Super Mario RPG is one of my favorite games ever. It's the game that got my into RPGs. I play through it every so often and it's always enjoyable.

Ocarina of Time is a classic. I've been thinking about starting a new game file to play through it again, but I think that for a lot of games. xD;

I've actually haven't really played a Sonic game. I never grew up with Sega and I was only exposed to the games when I'd go over to a friend's house. I didn't really think about trying it, and now I don't really care about giving it a go.

` B̷̵̷e̵̴̵h̛̕i̛҉̀͢͟n͠͏̧̢̀d̸́͘͠͝ ̵̧̨̢y̡͏̵̵ó̷̡͢͝ư̷̶̕͠.̷̴̨̡.͏̡

I really enjoyed Secret of Mana & Seiken Densetsu 3 as a kid!
I played it mostly on a SNES emulator.
The music is always so beautiful~ & the characters are so interesting. :'D

I like the Mario games too: Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island.

I played a lot of SNES games that had beautiful music and pixels. > . <

ヽ(゜Q。)ノ? 무서운거 재미있지..?

Image I've played most of Secret of Mana. I got it from the Wii Shop Channel if I remember correctly. I got most of the way through, but I died while going through a really long dungeon and I haven't played it since. xD

Some of the best games are SNES games! I have a SNES Classic Edition that I'm planning on modding so I can have even more SNES games on it.

I'm mad at the series myself too. Not only did it take so long, but the story now that I've played dream drop kinda pisses me off. I won't spoil because you haven't played all of it, but all I will say is that Tatsuya nomura has started the series so many years ago, he didn't have it all written. He did it kind of on a whim, it wasn't planned to go on so long but it exploded in popularity he had to continue for sucess.
So it goes to say, he didn't fricken plan out the entire story.

He tries to make it seem as if it all connects waaay too hard. Stuff suddenly happens and time travel gets introduced and it's fricken....
*shakes head*
It's like
"You know darn well you didn't plan this far ahead and kind of written yourself in circles to try and make fans happy...and...who you foolin!?"

I'm waiting to see if KH3 redeems the story at all.
It makes the mobil download, cannon to the series and story.

That alone makes me mad. A mobil download that wants you to spend money just like every stupid other app, is essential for the story.
Just like every game is every system and godBLARGAH *eye twitching*

KH is like a abusive relationship. XD

Image I played through all of Dream Drop Distance so no worries.

I totally know what you mean about the story getting super complex. Anytime someone wants to know about the story, it takes a lot of explaining for anything to make sense. While I like how much lore there is, parts of it just end up contradicting what was previously stated, like what happened with Nobodies. Also I feel like Nomura likes to make cryptic messages to make the game look cool, especially when you can unlock the message by doing something specific in the game.

Wait, the mobile game is canon? O_o I wonder if Square Enix was pushing for that so they could milk the series as much as possible, like what Atlus does with Persona. But anyway, I'm not going to play it - I don't care how much of it ends up being really important for KH3.

I just had my brain damage happen too so when I played it, I really was like, "...What? Wait....what?"
I had to play it twice to make sense of it.

It is!

At first I downloaded cause I thought it would be something to do in the long drives I had to do with my husband every few days. But they kept saying EVERY WEEK, a new offer on power ups for your character. They would want 14.99 every week for new stuff! You didn't have to do so but you know how apps are.

Not only that, but I delete it later because of that.

Then my husbands gets 2.8 for me, which has added scenes and movies. Well...the very end it was advertising the mobil app. No deal right? Get the secret movie and it's about the characters specifically in that app, not mentioned in the games anywhere. And it illudes to possibly Sora and the others but they are cloaked in their own outfits so who they are is who ever.
And it talks about the major fight that is suppose to happen or did happen.

Then leaves it at that, basically saying you learn more from the mobil game. And from possible more to come.

Tatsuya nomura also said KH3 would not be the last one. Won't explain everything. Which means he is opening ANOTHER venture for ANOTHER game soley based on a mobil phone app.

*explodes*

You aren't rich enough already? Geez guy...

THAT being SAID

I've been playing the .hack series lately. Refreshing!

` B̷̵̷e̵̴̵h̛̕i̛҉̀͢͟n͠͏̧̢̀d̸́͘͠͝ ̵̧̨̢y̡͏̵̵ó̷̡͢͝ư̷̶̕͠.̷̴̨̡.͏̡

I could never get to end game without cheat codes on Secret of Mana. xD I was an impatient kid.
I heard about a remake for it and it looks terrible.. I'm really not digging any games that get "remastered". > . <

When I first tried Super Mario RPG i did not understand how to play it, but I didn't know English at the time either lool.

Oo I want to play all the Kingdom Hearts series!! in canon chronological order. I didn't know there was a mobile game! Hmm does it really contribute to the story?
I beat KH1 and started KH2. I need to figure out how the other games fit, but i have to get them first lool.

Final Fantasy is another series I want to play! Except just the ones that came out for SNES. I tried playing 1 on the NES but the game itself is incredibly.. slow.. like you can't even make the dialogue go faster or even skip it. I'm watching that on x2 speed on YouTube instead lol.
I made it through a good portion of FF2 almost all on my own! :'D I'll try to play the others without relying on a walkthrough.

ヽ(゜Q。)ノ? 무서운거 재미있지..?

Image @Shinko: Some parts made me wonder if I should play through it a second time as well, though I still haven't done that. xD

$14.99 for something in a mobile game is a lot of money. D: I've played Indie games that cost me that much, but I've gotten hundreds of hours from some of them. If it was just $14.99 for a one time purchase and then everything would be unlocked that wouldn't be so bad.

Oh man, Nomura certainly knows how to tease his fans... I know there's a Kingdom Hearts wiki that has a crap ton of info, so maybe they have an article explaining what's so important to the story in the mobile game.

Yeah, I remember reading about that. He said KH3 will be the last one that has Xemnas/Xehanort as the villain. The original Kingdom Hearts started out pretty simple, but the series has gotten ridiculously complex. I don't think Square Enix is going to let the series die anytime soon.

: I don't blame you for cheating as a kid. xD
I saw some pretty mixed feelings for the remake. I've heard that some of the redone soundtrack is good, while other parts suck. I believe I've also seen some people wishing the graphics got redone in a different way, with some people saying it'd be cool if they went with a style like Octopath Traveler.

I was still learning how to read when I was first introduced to Super Mario RPG, so I mostly watched my older siblings play it. I still vaguely remember my brother fighting Culex and Smithy.

There's actually two mobile games - Kingdom Hearts Coded and Kingdom Hearts Union χ[Cross]. Coded got ported to the DS as Re:Coded. For that one from what I've read online it isn't very important to the story. Union χ I have zero idea, though from what Shinko is saying, it is somewhat important. Looking at what the Kingdom Hearts wiki says for the canon timeline... first is χ Back Cover, which is part of Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD (it's probably something you have to unlock too) but its an hour movie, not an actual game. Next is χ which only came out in Japan for web browsers (hmmm). After that Union χ, which I suspect would have the story from χ included. Birth by Sleep comes after that. Then it's the original Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days (which technically takes place from the start of Kingdom Hearts, continues alongside Chain of Memories and then ends just before KH2), Kingdom Hearts 2, Coded/Re:Coded, Dream Drop Distance, and Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-. The last one is like χ Back Cover in that it is a movie that is part of Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD. I didn't know about a handful of these until I checked on the wiki. O_o

I can believe that the original Final Fantasy is slow. I honestly doubt I'll ever play it. xD Nice! I don't have a ton of patience for some older games, so I tend to use walkthroughs a lot. I'll try to figure out as much as I can on my own, but as soon as I'm stuck for more than 10 minutes I just look it up. Also the only NES game I've ever finished is Mother/Earthbound Beginnings. xD;

I would be more than happy to help or try my hand […]

Hotarla I try or stay in my room and watch netflix[…]

@littleblack Your image is broken on my end[…]

X'D And awesome on the Avi Creator 2.0! ^^ Now I'[…]

Help us keep Roliana alive and running!